Sunday, February 13, 2011

Watching baby grow

I attended an open studio where a fellow artist created a beautiful charcoal drawing using charcoal dust and applying the charcoal with a wedge cosmetic sponge on Rives BK paper. His picture had a watercolor type quality about it that I found very appealing. Light areas can be lifted off the surface using the sponge or kneaded eraser and darker areas reenforced using a stick of soft vine charcoal.
I tried this approach for the first time in the above picture. The paper that I used was not quite white enough and had a bit of tooth to it, so I couldn't really get the bright whites that I wanted. Pushing the charcoal around the surface was more difficult than I had expected. I can see another trip to the art supply store now to buy Rives paper. 
I do love the composition of this picture which was done from a photograph. There is a strong visual pull towards the face of the baby, which follows the direction in which the parents are looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment